PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Outstation / Secondary Base Promotions - how does/should it work?
Old 20th Jun 2011, 20:18
d105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JW411
"On the bright side, at least your friend.................with regard to taxation, social security & pension".

You have just illustrated your complete ignorance about what it is like to work in the USA (please remember that it is rather a large continent).

I will give you a modest example. When I worked out there, federal withholding tax (PAYE) was pretty universal. However, there was a 15% state tax in New York and a 10% city tax on top of that.

So, can you imagine that you are posted from NCL to LPL and then find that you have just lost 25% of your earnings? Don't you think that matters? You, it would appear, would not mind this at all.

As to "having to change bases around Europe every couple of years".

I would imagine that just about everyone in FR already does this and I doubt that they didn't know that before they joined.

For the record, I have had to work in the following countries (apart from UK) during my career:

Aden
Bahrain
USA (California, New York & Honolulu)
Bangladesh
Fiji
Belgium

"We are also exceedingly glad that you retired a couple of years ago"

I do love your use of the word "we". This is normally a Royal prerogative but I am happy to hear from you exactly which organisation has authorised you to speak on their behalf.
Unsure why you have such a hostile undertone in your reply so I'll just leave that for what it is.

Of all the examples I gave taxation is most likely the least worrisome. Even a state levy on top of federal taxes is unlikely to throw the scales by 25%.

My concern is about social security contributions, medicare and pension contributions. Being able to stay within the same regulatory system for the larger part of your career is undoubtedly the most beneficial. That was what I was pointing at in my previous comment.