PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2011, 18:03
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Information Operation? What Information Operation? The one that assumes the Tripoli regime is a bunch of idiots who have no awareness of defence or political matters in Western nations (not unlike the way certain politicians treat the public and service chiefs) and cannot add two and two?

The RAF is, as you say, knuckling down. So is the RN. Both services have raised doubts about sustaining a longer term campaign. On which note - HMS Brocklesby has completed her Libyan mission after being relieved. As 1SL has noted, there is going to be an issue relieving other naval units post SDSR. Most significantly, how will CDG be relieved? I try not pay attention to hype, I pay attention to statistics, and the fact that time = distance/speed.

.....this is a conflict, not an opportunity to score petty points based on untruths and half truths.

Hmmm! The future of NATO, as well as current operations, is threatened by defence cuts. See here:

Countries who recently did their own strategic review, they found themselves getting rid of capabilities that now that they're in a combat environment they're giving second thought to that - Admiral Mike Mullen.

HMS Illustrious has now returned to sea following her refit - in fact she is raring to go. She still has a ski ramp. She can still embark and operate Harriers. See my comments and suggestions.

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 12th Aug 2011 at 10:06.