PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Outstation / Secondary Base Promotions - how does/should it work?
Old 20th Jun 2011, 16:54
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"On the bright side, at least your friend.................with regard to taxation, social security & pension".

You have just illustrated your complete ignorance about what it is like to work in the USA (please remember that it is rather a large continent).

I will give you a modest example. When I worked out there, federal withholding tax (PAYE) was pretty universal. However, there was a 15% state tax in New York and a 10% city tax on top of that.

So, can you imagine that you are posted from NCL to LPL and then find that you have just lost 25% of your earnings? Don't you think that matters? You, it would appear, would not mind this at all.

As to "having to change bases around Europe every couple of years".

I would imagine that just about everyone in FR already does this and I doubt that they didn't know that before they joined.

For the record, I have had to work in the following countries (apart from UK) during my career:

Aden
Bahrain
USA (California, New York & Honolulu)
Bangladesh
Fiji
Belgium

"We are also exceedingly glad that you retired a couple of years ago"

I do love your use of the word "we". This is normally a Royal prerogative but I am happy to hear from you exactly which organisation has authorised you to speak on their behalf.