PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non-Standard!
Thread: Non-Standard!
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2011, 15:17
Steve the Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me get this straight...

@Vfor

You're the one who started this thread so, clearly, you have thought about this travesty long and hard, otherwise, why the angst?

You say:

I have no idea what mouth music is. Show me ONE place in any of our manuals the words "mouth music" are mentioned.
I would submit that the use of the phrase is commonplace in our profession and needs neither explanation nor verification of its usage. To suggest otherwise is simply pedanticism - something which you patently dislike.

However, you go on to say:

So according to the book, "F20, gear down" IS the non-standard way.
I presume you are on one of the Boeing fleets due to your example but that in itself is immaterial. Whatever the case may be though, one of 2 things happen on your flights when you are PF, namely either:

a. You abide by convention and put the gear down after flap 20 (if that's the norm) or;

b. You put the gear down before flap 20, thus potentially causing confusion in the flight deck at a relatively low altitude, potentially leading to a "challenge and the conflict that might ensue" (I've paraphrased here for simplification) .

The latter is not an example of good airmanship in my humble opinion.

You go on to say:

3) In our operation, overloading the PF at the cost of not overloading the PM is very obviously the main aim. As such, by announcing that you're about to do something unexpected is the best way to create confusion and overload for the PM and that goes against any positive aim "communication" is meant to achieve.
I disagree with this statement 100%.

Now I have to say, this one really tickled me. You accuse Toss Parker of being illiterate (which is debatable but that's not the point) and you yourself go on to say:

I have a nice collection of hilarious miss-spelling and miss-grammar mistakes
Now, either you're a very funny person or you too have little grasp of the English language. "Miss-spelling" should be misspelling and there is no such term as "miss-grammar." I think what you were trying to say is "grammatical errors" (as you've so clearly demonstrated) but that's as may be.

Then you go on to say:

And to be clear, I really don't give a sh!t how you do it or what you do
If that is indeed the case, then what's the point of this thread?

Finally you say:

It's the moronic phrases people literally (my highlighting) pull out of their a$$ that's beyond stupid and annoying.
When you say "literally" do you mean that before someone says, for sake of discussion, "non-standard" that they actually pull those phrases from their anuses, as one might from a fortune cookie, or are you using hyperbole?

STP