PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are the AME apprentices?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2011, 13:37
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry, been a bit busy........

Interesting comments in this thread, some correct, some the results of misunderstandings. An apprentice needs to have "the passion" and an employer must have understanding and a genuine desire to impart training and knowledge.

"....what Torres said is only part of the story..."
Yes, that is true, but I can't compress a decade of mentoring, supporting and training Australian apprentices into one short PPRuNe post...... We all have sad failures, but completing and graduating around a hundred apprentices and trainees each year makes it all worth while!

"If I was a mining recruiter I would be down at my local airport poaching guys. Saying to them here is a job with more pay, better roster, better conditions, we feed you on site, we house you on site, little stress and no threat of litigation hanging over you."
Well, not quite. The cancellation/failure rate of apprentices in the mining industry is no better than in other industries, despite the additional mentoring and support they often receive. Not all apprentices can hack the cyclic roster, living on site, generally ten hour days, seven days per week of two week on, two week off rosters.

"I have since been knocked back by four joints for one reason only...I'm female."
I think you were very fortunate they knocked you back. If that is their attitude, they don't deserve you.

I have female apprentices in many trades including building and mechanical. Most show great dedication, excellent progress and complete early to become excellent trades people.