PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IGRUA (Merged 2011)
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2011, 17:19
vserian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but a lot of people talk about IGRUA'S reputation and campus placements..does that really exist?? i read somewhere that Indian airline directly selects students of igrua and trains them for boeing aircrafts..! i guess it sounds too good be true..
IGRUA is one of the top flight college in India, yes Air India does take students from the campus, but the process currently has been slowed down and now with all the chaos going on within the national airline its put on hold. Back in 2004-2007 almost everyone who had the interview was selected and now flying on 777, 747, 737, 310 and 320s. You need to perform very well to get an interview but like I said the airline is in chaos, it will take time to reform itself (if they really want to) so chances are extremely minimal to nil.

and what is the employment scene really like..does a fresh inexperienced cpl-holder stand any chance?? or is it only type-rating (and that too self-sponsored!) that can get u a job??
Job are there but its not easy to get them like it was back in the booming days. Jet, spice, Indigo are conducting exams regularly for both fresh and type rated pilots, but if you are selected you have to pay quiet an amount of money which you will get in return over 5 to 7 years.

do airlines still have cadet programs where the type-rating is sponsored by the airline?
In India NO, its you who have to pay the cost and sign a bond. Indigo is soon going to launch a "cadet" programme which will cost 45 lacs. You can search it on the net for more info or http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far...t-program.html

how does one get selected as a trainee-pilot?? I have heard that some airlines (jet airways and spice jet pay back half the cost of your type rating after service of 5 years or so..)
you need to pass their Exams and get through the selection process.

is it the right time to go for CPL training at all...?? will things look up in the years ahead..??
No one can answer this million dollar question because we never know what will happen tomorrow. I would advise you to get a degree in Engineering or Finance where the job market is strong then go for the CPL, you will have a good back up and will get you some financial assurance in the future. Jobs are there, but there are just too many CPL holders for the available job. India badly needs experienced captains and aviation is growing fast in India compared to many other countries, so aviation has a good future this is a fact as far as India is concerned.

Anyways think twice before spending that huge money on CPL,dont fall for the scams and dont sign up with any agents.

also take some time to search the forum for similar questions, PM me if you got any doubts.

all the best