PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Problems with landing
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2011, 12:47
Bigears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My advice, for what its worth, as a relatively new PPL;
1. Fly on a calm day first, then build up to crosswinds and turbulent approaches
2. Get the instructor to show you how it should be done, and talk you through what they are doing and why. Its your money- be politely proactive
3. Ensure you are familiar with the downwind checks and the speeds to fly (so that they are second-nature and not using up vital brain-power as you try and remember- 'a good landing comes from a good approach')
4. Generally, if the aircraft is where you want it to be at the correct speed (and decreasing/increasing as required), then leave it alone and think of what your next move is going to be- be ahead of the aircraft and not reacting
5. If the instructor is quite happy for you to burn money while he/she is being a passenger who has the option of taking control should it go pear-shaped, change instructor. They are being paid primarily for safety, but also to instruct. Caveat: I'm assuming that you are speaking to the instructor and asking them questions like 'what could I have done better there?'. There has to be good 2-way comms between Student and Instructor.

Have fun!