PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Remembering ATC Instructions!
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2011, 23:03
18greens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom boo, yes it's practice, but remember the controller and you are only trying to pass very basic info to allow flight to happen. it's not magic, although cool radio operators like to make it sound so. The vital bits of info ( to quote Richard Kipling) are who and where and what and why and how and when.

All you say on the radio at the end of the day is 'can I taxi?' ' can I take off?' 'can I go here?' and 'can I land?'. Perhaps better not to mention the two others being 'I'm lost please help' and I'm on fire please help'

All the controller ever says to you is basically yes go here, or no (not usually no but try it later) , and look out there's someone else around. They will never lose their temper with you and all of them have infinite patience because they are professionals.

Not sure if that helps you but it took me years to work out its not magic, its just talking. I wish my instructor had explained it to me. Hope that helps. Also remember some aircraft fly without radios. Convoluted speech isn't what keeps aircraft flying.