PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An art form
Thread: An art form
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2011, 18:19
Nubian

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, as said before here "if you do this the whole day long you'll get good at it" If you can get the feel of flying the ''hook'' and 'not' the helicopter, then it will look like this...

but
Gordy for one, you'll have to look at the clip again.
One thing is to deliver the hook and as you say pause it while the gentleman on the ground hooks on, another thing is to take the slack of the line and have tension, before you ''yank'' the load off like at 3:30.
I am a production longline-pilot but fly the 350 with the cargo-swing which is much more forgiving than having a fixed hook like on the 500 or the 206 series, and I know how it feels like lifting even reasonably light loads without tension. This has been discussed in a seperate thread ''shock-loading'' or something like it.

Now, I don't know the weight of the christmas-trees being lifted, they might be very light and supposedly there's nothing to snag onto, but I certainly wouldn't like a pilot to yank ANY load off like that if I owned the machine.

As a little side-note, there is another thread here about a fatal accident in Andorra where it seems as "the long-line'' snagged a three and brought the helicopter down.

Production is one thing, but it's to none's benefit if you crash while being the fastest.