PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scandinavian Airlines hiring.
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2011, 13:52
linmar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The number circulating is around 70 this year. That could well be filled with former SAS-pilot wanting to return. I think the number that left in 2009 was around 90, although around 40 of them were over 60 and involved in the dispute regarding the legality of ending their employments at the time. They lost in the first instance in both Sweden and Norway and I haven't heard anything about they appealing the verdict so they are most likely not returning. The remaining 50 were hired by various airlines including Norwegian, City Airline and some middle-east companies. As previously posted on this forum around 70 were re-hired earlier this year so not too many from 2009 can be left to re-hire now. In 2003 around 300 pilots were let go, but they have no legal right to return to the same pay grade and seniority and of the ones that left back them most would be captains by now and thus a co-pilot position on year one at SAS might not be interesting for them.

Regarding T&C rumor is that Regional Commuter might be considered again. That would mean a salary starting at around 30,000 SEK(co-pilot) + per diem and at year 8 around 60,000 (Captain) SEK + per diem. I don't know if that is going to be the case, but I guess everything will be sorted out fairly soon.

Taking a look at the annual report there is a chance to predict upcoming recruitment. The fact that SAS are now recruiting again should mean that they can't increase working hours any more among crew. So any increase in traffic and retirements of crew means hiring crew. In a press release from last year, SAS says they will increase traffic by some 25% during 2011-2014. Increasing the number of pilots with a little bit less, say 20%, will result in some 260 new hires over four years. At the same time retirements start to pick upp. From the annual report:

2011 - 10
2012 - 10
2013 - 20
2014 - 30
2015 - 75
2016 - 95
2017 - 95
2018 - 110
2019 - 90
2020 - 105

With an increase in traffic 2011-2014 the number to hire during these years should be some 70-80 per year and from 2015 the retirements are really picking up so the recruitment should even increase from now on. Another aspect is training. A lot of new pilots mean a lot of trainers not flying which haven't been the case lately.

Anyway, good news for everyone and good luck to all!