PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding package aimed at PPLs
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2011, 05:59
Sillert,V.I.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ProfChrisReed
I'm trying to devise a fixed price to solo package for my gliding club which is aimed at PPL holders...
As a PPL holder who's had a couple of sorties in gliders, I'd say both camps have much to learn from each other.

Not sure about the 'fixed price to solo' concept, though. PPL's have vastly different experience and flying capabilities & I don't see how you could possibly make an informed judgement about how much additional training would be required for the conversion. It's hard enough to do this with ab initio students when you are at least starting from a common baseline. Also, PPL holders are familiar with the pricing structure of flying training & the problems inherent in fixed price packages & I don't think they'd see much merit in that sort of arrangement.

I have in the past organised events where a group of 5-10 PPLs would fly over to a gliding site for a few hours for an introductory session, and those events were always great fun for both glider & power pilots alike. Personally, I think that'd be a better way forward for your club if you want to attract power pilots into the fold.