PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic
Thread: Virgin Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2002, 10:54
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virgin did overdo the reaction post-9/11, but so did some others. However, Virgin does appear to be recovering somewhat more strongly than other airlines in the same or similar marketplaces. Whether that is a reflection of Virgin's management, or a statement about Virgin's strong brand image, you'll have to judge for yourself. As for the airline's potential longevity, who knows? I doubt that any airline has a cast-iron future, but I'd be prepared to bet that we'll still be around in another 18 years. Expansion is back on the agenda, but it's unlikely to be quick!

Virgin's T&C's aren't the best, and there is considerable and vocal discussion going on right now about that subject between the company and the CC. I'd say that trading conditions right now are unlikely to support a large increase now, but that a substantial improbement in the future is on the cards. However, this is only my opinion! If you want a comparison on current pay and benefits, try this site: Airline Pay Comparisons . It's not totally up-to-date, but it's not far off. The pension is a defined contribution one, with the company contributing 15% of gross pay. Starting pay for an FO is about 40K, rising to 55K after 18 years (time to command is an unknown right now, but bank on 5 years minimum). Maximum hours is 750 pa. Days off can be down route, but aren't often. I get about 12-14 days at home a month and three or four trips (I'm Airbus - the 744 guys do more, shorter, trips).

The grass is always greener, isn't it?! But I'm pretty happy here at Virgin. There are moans and groans, and there are items of perpetual disagreement between 'them' and us, but I doubt they're anything you haven't heard before elsewhere.

If you want to know more, e-mail me - but be prepared to wait, as the pprune mail server is down right now!