PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SHFNI Stories!
Thread: SHFNI Stories!
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2011, 13:13
Thud_and_Blunder

Received 90 Likes on 36 Posts
72forever,

That was a name from the past! First met him (Chocks) on the same OCTU course in 1976; next encounter was on 72 a couple of years later when he arrived a few months after my coursemates and me (2 Plt Offs plus an ex-Vulc Flt Lt). Those same 2 Plt Offs were trogging off along the deployment route ("Kleine Brogel - Lima - Bottrop(sp?) - DOM" rings a bell) as the crew of no. 4 in a stream when it occurred to us that we hadn't heard anything from Chocks (below/behind our feet) for a while. Shouting through those lovely comfy throat-mikes didn't raise him, and neither did a gentle bunt, so the Kiwi in the LHS went through the contortions necessary to move from the cockpit to the cabin (thank Foch we didn't have armoured seats) to check and make sure Chocks hadn't choked to death on his butty-box. No such luck - fast asleep in the back, participating as much as he ever did in the safe conduct of the flight.

What added insult to injury was that having conveyed him there, as Flight sub-imprest holder I had to hand over more LOA to our failed-OCTU-coursemate than we Plt Offs could possibly dream of getting (well, a Few Pfennigs More, but you get the point).

After the move to Benson then NI (I left the Sqn just before they left Odiham), I gather he may've been the fella who tried pointing to the stripes on his shoulder when asked by a boarding Close Obs Pn soldier to help lift a bergan out of the way so the latter could board. I believe one-way fisticuffs may've ensued, but that might just be wishful thinking.