PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fakers, fakers everywhere!
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2011, 20:35
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was an attempt at being funny, toro

I do think you have given the game away with

I can absolutely assure you that FAA licences do not in any shape or form compare with other "first" world countries.
which is nonsense. The difference between an FAA PPL and a JAA PPL is ... the FAA one is a lot more thorough. The difference between an FAA CPL and a JAA CPL is a load of accurate VFR dead reckoning in the JAA one (perhaps useful in an A330 with all the tubes iced up but no, hang on, you need to know the TAS for DR to work, so what is it useful for?) and some fun flying (chandelles, lazy eights, etc) in the FAA one. The difference between an FAA IR and a JAA IR is that the FAA one is usually a damn lot higher checkride workload, with most of the checkride being partial panel / timed turns, etc. but the JAA one has, hey, accurately flown NDB holds. The biggest difference is the 14 JAA exams which are almost wholly irrelevant to flying.

My main point was that the JAA commercial pilot training system is mostly a facade, which nobody questions because most ATPL cadets are broke and desperate to get a job ASAP and are not going to rock the boat, while loads of commercial pilots living and working in Europe have used various "handy" routes to get their papers, which is legal whereas logbook forgery is illegal.

I do not support logbook forgery one bit (it is not actually unknown in GA, either, with some "celebrated" cases) but it is kind of hard to argue it morally when the "JAA moral high ground" is nonexistent.

Last edited by IO540; 10th Jun 2011 at 21:09.