PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Instructors who refuse to spin
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2002, 21:31
Capt Homesick
Glasgow's Gallus Gigolo .... PPRuNeing is like making love to a beautiful woman ... I take hours.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I've spun a PA38- after I'd done the required spins for my BCPL (showing my age there), I did some more so I could look back at the tail. As far as I can tell, that particular horror story is a myth...
Croqueteer makes a very good point about the C152's ability to bite. I never spin with flaps down, but here is a good instructional exercise in the 152:
Set up the aircraft in approach configuration- 1500 RPM, 20 degrees flap. Set the aircraft in a turn using no more than 20 degress bank. Use just enough back pressure to maintain altitude.
What happens next varies with individual aircraft. With most, a turn in one direction leads to the aircraft stalling out of the turn, sometimes to wings level, sometimes to a banked attitude in the other direction. Turn in the other direction, carry out the same experiment, (keep the aircraft balanced, it makes surprisingly little difference), and the result will be a rapid flick into the turn, leaving the aircraft inverted.
Apologies if I'm teaching the other Cessna "vets" to suck eggs here, but if you haven't seen this, practice it with another instructor until you're happy with it, then add it to the later stalling lessons. With good briefing, it teaches the student to respect the low-speed environment. It's also tremendous fun to demonstrate!