PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Learning to fly at Wycombe
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2011, 10:48
Sillert,V.I.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mixture
Not wishing to drag this thread off-topic, but surely that's why one goes to learn at a good school with experienced instructors, not one staffed by p2f atpl wannabes and neither one of those cheap and cheerful courses on the other side of the pond and then come back unable to cope with the demands of UK/EU airspace. So perhaps you would care to elaborate ?

You've got a minimum of 45 hours, minimum 25 dual IIRC .... surely that gives a good instructor more than enough time to hammer the good habits into the thick skulls of his/her students ? That's one of the things I liked about BAFC, there was an absolute focus on developing the professionalism of the student, for example my instructor was keen to spend more time on key aspects of instrument work than was strictly needed for the basic PPL syllabus because of the importance of being proficient in the use of navaids, so I learnt to posfix whilst hand-flying an orbit to +-max 100/0ft (i.e CPL SEP altitude holding) whilst remaining strictly VFR (lookout etc.) For me, yes, spending less than 5 hours in a traumahawk was useful, in terms of SSAT ... but other than that, the Warrior was much nicer to fly, especially when the focus moved from skills to nav. I wouldn't dream of doing a QXC in a traumahawk !
Couldn't agree more with your comment about BAFC professionalism. Worth doing a PPL at Airways for that alone - assuming things haven't changed in 25 years!

I did my QXC in a PA38 & also did my night rating & most of my IMCr on the type - the exception was that at that time BAFC had only one aircraft with a glideslope receiver (an ancient cherokee) & we needed to use that for the ILS training part of the IMCr.

I think the tomahawk is the better trainer in part because it is inherently less stable than the warrior; you'll develop good stick & rudder skills & also learn to respond quickly to small changes in the aircraft's attitude. You'll learn to multitask because the airplane always has to be flown - you'll develop a good scan in IMC out of necessity. It's also great for demonstrating how aircraft can bite; I still remember vividly the day we climbed up to 5000' & my instructor told me to stall it & give it a bootful of left rudder just as the nose started to drop.

However, IMO the warrior is without doubt a much more comfortable airplane to fly.