PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are the AME apprentices?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2011, 00:39
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Mike

I hear you loud and clear. No one is more aware of the trade skills shortage or trying to address the problem than me.

I already employ 149 full time apprentices; 15 part time apprentices; 32 School Based apprentices and 111 trainees.

There are already full time first year apprentices in the work place. The work place is unable to efficiently provide effective trade supervision for a further first year apprentice.

On this occasion I am seeking a 2nd to 4th Year Aeroskills apprentice and appalled at the lack of interest and long term impact on Australia's capacity and ability to maintain its current aircraft fleet.

"...they are over 21 and need to be paid an adult wage..."
It may surprise you that the greatest growth sector in new Australian apprenticeships is in mature age Apprenticeships. Most trade employers are now paying over Award payments to apprentices; they recognise that apprentice wages are an investment in the future prosperity of their own business.

You probably missed Reason 3: The national cancelation rate of first year apprentices is around 60% to 70% and diminishes as the apprentice progresses through 2nd, 3rd and 4th year. Many employers are exascerbated with the lack of committment in todays Gen Y.

Last edited by Torres; 9th Jun 2011 at 00:56.