PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are the AME apprentices?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2011, 00:23
Mike Litoris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is not only aeroskills trades, it is elsewhere too. I work in a trade, non-aviation, and we too have a skills shortage. I also have a quite a lot of friends and associates from a broad range of trade areas, and they too have a skills shortage.

I have a vacancy for a 2nd, 3rd or 4th year apprentice
Have you thought about advertising for, and taking on, a 1st year apprentice?

So many people in various trades want to hire 2nd, 3rd or 4th year apprentices.
Why? thats easy, because they are productive now, and the business owner can charge for the work they produce now.

Problem: A 1st year apprentice takes time (and therefore money) to teach them the skills of the trade to a point where they produce chargable work.

Reason 1: A lot (not all, but a lot) of kids out of school lack initiative, heck, they even need to be told "If you're not busy, at least make it look like you're busy. Pick up a broom and sweep a clean floor if you have nothing else to do". They need someone to "hold their hand" whilst they learn (at least for the 1st year)

Reason 2: By the time these people develop this initiative, and be more useful (if not chargable) around the workplace, they are over 21 and need to be paid an adult wage, which costs the owner of the business more.

So, as to the trade shortage, who is at fault?
Is it that people no longer want to work in a trade area?
Or
Is it that business owners no longer wish to hire 1st year apprentices? (they just want to poach them from other businesses who have given them their initial start)

I believe that in a majority of cases that it is the later. Business owners need to deal with the either Reason 1, or Reason 2.

Again, Have you thought about taking on a 1st year apprentice?

Just remember, you were at some stage either someones Reason 1, or their Reason 2.

Mike