PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 8
Thread: Ryanair - 8
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2011, 09:24
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Well, "extra" is my way of expressing that Ryanair either did, or attempted to/would have, (had I not objected), exacted money from me after the payment for the ticket on the internet, which none of the dozens of other airlines I have ever flown ever have so boldly attempted.

Let's bear in mind that Ryanair's website would not accept my Canadian Visa credit card for payment, and offered no other means for me to pay, or to contact them in any way to arrange to pay in person. A friend had to pay with his credit card, make the booking, and I had to pay him cash back. Funny though, when Ryanair wanted to collect additional payment, they were eager to accept my credit card then!

When it is obvious from the short timelines of my booking, that I had absolutely no access to my email, or a printer, to charge 40 Euro to print a boarding pass when I check in to a 39.90 Euro flight, is an entirely new experience for me - and unacceptable to me.

When the Ryanair staff member who takes and checks my booking information, and passport, prints the boarding pass saying "Jim" instead of the "James" of my passport, I don't mind. But when the next Ryanair staff member attempts to exact a further 150 Euro, to then change (correct the incorrect information they entered) the name on my ticket, I will not tolerate it. Why would I be expected to pay many times the cost of the original ticket, in additional fees, to correct an error they had transcribed?

My experience with airlines I like, is that unless the passenger was apparently wrecklessly oblivious to "the rules", they would accomodate the passenger as best as possible, with the least impact as possible. On the other hand, I felt that booking the ticket, and going through the process to board the flight was some kind of skills test, with finacial penalties at every turn, for imperfection.

That's not the way I want to travel, there can be enough stressors as it is, I don't need the airline adding to them. Obviously there are enough people who have either learned the ins and outs or are willing to go along with Ryanair's rules, to keep the flights full, so be it - but not me!

It is my opinion (having worked several years in airline customer service), that company policies which result in stressed or angry passengers, will result in longer customer service times, and stressed staff. That staff member might then take longer to do their job, and be less cheerful for the next passenger, and it goes around and around....

I will say that aside from bold cabin decor, and too frequent cabin announcements to advertise things to me, the flight itself was actually ok.

As many American airlines openly acknowledge on their cabin announcements "we know you have a choice in your travel, and we're pleased you chose us". Yes, I do have a choice, and it won't be Ryanair again!