PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates - Wannabes & Recruitment IX
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2011, 13:33
kabuli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tattoos

hello there,

i am hoping for some insight from emirates crews...

i was successful through until the final stage of the ad. preface: i'm not suggesting i couldn't have done things better and could never presume to know what exactly the recruiters are looking for.

however, given that i have crew experience, speak two languages, have lived abroad in a muslim country and am friendly, outgoing and not obnoxious (though i may be sounding like it now...) i thought i had a good fighting chance. i went in dressed the part, made a good effort without being in anyone's face, smiled, etc.

of course i was gutted at the final rejection. i hoped to get a final interview (most people did get that opportunity). after returning home and mulling things over, something clicked.

at the end, we were asked if we had any visible markings on our bodies. i said that no, nothing that could be seen in uniform. she said they needed to know of ANYTHING, ANYWHERE on the body, i answered honestly -- tattoos on torso.

i am aware that obvious or bandaged tattoos are a no-no... so when she said to me 'oh so they are quite big', that made me go 'hmm' in retrospect.

are emirates respecting islamic tradition here -- tattoos are entirely forbidden? that is reasonable, so i just would like to know. they are very well out-of-sight. however, i am not one to lie, and they would have been noticed in a medical, and during ditching training.

again, i am all for trying again next time, if my life allows it in 6 months. but, if it did come down to the non-visible tattoos, then that is another story. and i don't like to waste people's time. removal is a consideration however $$$, so lots to think about!

any thoughts, insights on this? thanks in advance