PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing / approach techniques
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2002, 08:58
FormationFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holloway

Indeed - but any power adjustment means a change of atttitude and any change of attitude means a change of power. The two are inextricably linked.

On the subject of P&P etc...

There are two 'mindsets' or 'techniques' if you like. 'Point & Power' or 'RoD and Attitude' (dunno what the offical term is...)

In point & power attitude controls touchdown point, power controls airspeed. This technique is taught by the military and is widely accepted, and is also used for NDB/ILS instrument approaches.

In 'RoD/Att' power controls Rate of Descent, attitude controls airspeed. However, remember that is you do not have the correct approach speed you must change the attitude - and that means a change of power too & vice versa.

Ultimately they both sort of end up doing the same thing...point and power is not the most applicable to all aircraft in all situations...landing a floatplane on glassy water is classic case where point & power doesn't work. However 'RoD/Att' does suit all landings (I personally use RoD/Att to land following a P&P based instrument approach).

Anyway..I think they are both valid and you cant use one technique all the time. Flexibility is the key to being a good pilot.

However, at your stage of the game stick to what you know and your instructor is teaching you - RoD/Att....

Saab Dastard

I think many have overlooked your comments! They were not lost on me!!!!

If ONLY the students & PPLs I fly with understood this VITAL point.....

Good comment chap!!! (albeit a little cryptic for a student perhaps!)

Last edited by FormationFlyer; 1st Oct 2002 at 09:12.