PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Welton Dispersal
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2011, 11:36
Wander00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excuse slight drift, but direction this thread is going reminded me of an interesting day in early '84. I had gone as staff gopher with three recently graduated IOT studes on an exchange visit to the Royal Norwegian Air Force Academy. After a week of their hospitality my head hurt, and even more so after the "dinner/dansant" - formal dinner, where I had to make the toast to the then King, presented Commandant with a bottle of Port (to demonstrate what his studes had been doing to my head all week), all night dance, followed by breakfast, still in mess kit, in downtown Trondheim. There, in my slightly befuddled state I was introduced to a former student of the Academy, who just happened to be their Secretary of State for Defence.

Back to Academy to change for travel, bus to airport, climb onto plane going to Oslo - where the "former student" sees me, changes seats to sit next to me and explains that he is on his way to Oslo for the Parliamentary debate on whether or not GLCM s are to be allowed on Norwegian soil. "What do you think?" he asks, "Should we allow them?" Fortunately the flight was only half an hour, and I don't think I caused a diplomatic incident. But it was kind of scary. I think in the end the Norwegians said "No". Don't think I influenced the decision, but strange end to a very enjoyable week.