PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing / approach techniques
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2002, 18:16
Evo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a PA-28er, but what made it click for me was learning to get the approach speed right. Learn what it is (ask your instructor, check the POH and if they differ, ask why ) and make sure you hold this speed right the way through the approach - at first you'll have to keep glancing at the ASI but as you get better you'll start to learn the attitude and can do it just by looking out of the window. Too much speed and you'll just float along when you flare, too little and ... well, you don't want to stall on short final with full flap

Once you've got the approach speed right I found the rest fairly simple - at least, until the flare. Lining up is easy with practice, and if you're coming in short then just feed in a bit of power (remember to keep that airspeed nailed though). Keep at it, and one day you'll think it's easy. The day after that you'll thump it in again like the rest of us do now and again, especially when someone is watching...

However, it's a bad idea to think 800ft over the pylons, 500ft over the M25 IMHO - sorry iain, but it would be boring if everyone always agreed . It's hard not too, especially given the dozens of circuits you'll do before you escape to the navs, but you'll be landing elsewhere before too long and it's a shock when your usual landmarks aren't there. Better to try and learn to judge the perspective.

HTH, and good luck

Last edited by Evo; 30th Sep 2002 at 18:28.