PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fresh Out
Thread: Fresh Out
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2011, 04:42
JC-BEV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fresh Out

I'm currently a student at a flying school in Auckland, New Zealand.

I'm about a month away from a CP flight test at present and beginning to crack into my ATP exams (quit your chuckling). All of my flying is funded by a Student Loan, I fly C172R's and when I move onto it, will be completing my MEIR in a BE76.

By the end of the year I should have around 300+TT, an ICAO CPL, MEIR, and with a bit of luck, all my ATP exams and a BGT out of the way. I also do not have a wealthy, well connected daddy in a big ol' Airline. I'm willing to spend whatever money I have going overseas if there's jobs available, but I can't chase rumors.

Taking a gander through the Forum is disheartening to say the least. Basically, I've come to research, ask what my options are, and leave a thread of information for people in my situation (Assuming everyones in it for future Large Airline success).

Knowing thing's like;
-Has anyone recently, or ever been in my situation? If so, explain your move.
-Is a cadetship (looks like Cathay or JetStar is all I have) the way to go?
-Is getting NZ ATP's a good idea?
-Will applying and (with some luck) flying a scenic, parachute or towing job get me anywhere?
-Is instructing a more beneficial route?
-What's the situation like for fresh-out-of school ICAO pilots?

I realise these questions are quite broad but I think most of you will understand the direction this is taking.

I'd just like to hear some stories and advice.