PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic
Thread: Virgin Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2001, 21:36
The Guvnor

fish

Yes, V50 - but what did I just say about special deals for corporates and the currency of payment? It's legal for any tickets of Nigerian residents (including expats) to be paid for in NGN - and surprise surprise, that's exactly what happens! In order to secure market share, BA frequently turns a blind eye to that rule and allows its Nigerian offices to issue PTAs for the head office wallahs to come down to Nigeria - again, paid for in NGN. I have no doubts VS does the same - and with any Nigeria Airways tie-up that's going to mean a much bigger chunk of change in the CBN.

Incidentally, I hear that the Woolly Pully is headed off to parts Asiatic with the begging bowl out.

How's this for a scenario:

RB: "Hey man, I'm brassic. Lend me a few million until the market recovers. Unfortunately, I can't give you any more shares since you're at the legal max - but hey, what's a few mill between friends?"

CCK: "Ah, so sorry. No spare cash. Let's talk about the money you already owe us and when you will be paying it back!"

RB: "Ummmm"

CCK: "OK, I have solution. You give us the whole of Virgin Blue so we can set up our Australian operation without having to bail out bloody Ansett and I'll bung you few bob"

RB: "But that's the only part of the biz that's doing well!"

CCK: "Of course! You think we want to take over any more of your dodgy operations? We've got a billion cans of Virgin Cola we can't shift!"

RB: "Er...."

CCK: "OK, you no wanna talk about that, no problem. Let's talk about something else. Like the clause in our agreement about no co-mingling funds with other group companies, and the accounting relationships of VA, Voyager, Plane Handling, Virgin Training, Virgin Spares, etc etc with companies in the BVI, Turks and Caicos and Caymans; and their relationships with V2, Virgin Mobile, Virgin Finance etc!"

RB: "Err, um, er, ... where do I sign?"

Note: The above does not refer, or impute to refer in any way that any individuals with the initials 'RB' or 'CCK' have had or necessarily will have this conversation in the future.