PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of low time pilots slammed
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2011, 23:48
Attack Fighter 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Attack Fighter 2 here once more. I am certainly not Victor two, however I concur with his sentiments. I had six years in the RAAF before going to Airlines and I can tell you I would rather have a 25 yo with all his reflexes and quick mind in charge than a 55 yo who all he has done in his life is fly from one ILS to another with both auto pilots engaged......As a check captain I observed that the younger co-pilots performed a lot better than older pilots in command.........If you sit in the back seat of a simulator for some time you will see this time and time again. You can teach monkeys to fly. It is the only profession where joe public can go fly an aeroplane on weekends....I can't practice dentistry or medicine on weekends. Airline flying is easy... dull and boring, but easy. Try single pilot IFR in a muli-engine turboprop.....now thats a challenge. I recall flying one time with a new co-pilot.....he flew the first leg.......the aircraft was on rails all the way.....later I asked what experience he had.........he informed me that this was the first flight since being checked to line........I was blown away.....I have flown with new cadets and in the main they are absolutely brilliant.....these are the same age group guys that fly the PM around. When she visits the flight deck I don't think she would be too concerned to see these young switched on guys taking her around the world.......happy flying...