PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking for answers please
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2011, 08:49
ChicoG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Earthquakes and Tsunamis

I think it's worth mentioning that whatever happens to the destination, the plane has enough fuel on board to divert to another destination.

Fearful Flyer, don't let your imagination run riot, there are a gazillion earthquakes every day, you just don't know it.

If you look at this link:

Earthquakes in the UK

Have you heard of any of these? Doubtful, they are just a normal natural occurrence and usually too small to be even felt, and barely measured. You only ever hear about the big ones, because they are sooooooooo rare.

You just need to remind yourself that similarly, every exception to normal flying is pretty well in the miniscule percentage.

Just look at the faces of everyone around you in the terminal, they have done it before, and they are relaxed and happy because they know it is the safest form of transport, even if it might not seem so.

I liken it to this: You have more chance of being killed by a Donkey than a Shark. Did you know that? Yet obviously, your brain would tell you otherwise.

Have a look at this:

Flightradar24.com - Live Flight Tracker!

All of these planes are in the air, if you open it later, some will have landed, more will have taken off. You might possibly be able to track the flight you are on and see it take off, fly and land, then come back again.

There are millions of happy customers on those flights. (and by the way it's not to scale, they are miles apart vertically and horizontally!).

When I'm getting cabin fever, I already have my next three flights booked, and I know I can go on that site, find my flight and say "in a couple of months time at this time of day, I will be looking down at India" or wherever I may be.

So go ahead, follow your flight for a few days and think of all of those happy holidaymakers, most of whom will be grinning like Cheshire cats because they know it's all worth it.

Once you've seen it do it a few dozen times, you'll realise that it will do it a few dozen more times after you've been on it. It's just a train that happens to fly in the air. With usually crap food if you're in economy. JUST like a train then.