PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of low time pilots slammed
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2011, 16:22
Avenger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Authorities set the criteria for undertaking a Type Rating, there is no requirement to be high hours and training experience shows that actually low hours pilots perform better in the type rating than high time pilots perhaps with embedded procedures they find difficult to shake off. Off course, in the actual MCC environment the previous experience can make line training a smoother process as many day to day things have been seen before.
When BA had the cadet process and you stood 1/600 chance of getting in, I don't recall all the nonsense being spouted then, surely some of this is frustration from experienced guys that cannot find work or are being hoop jumped by the low timers. The basic fact is all pilots start as low timers and it is much safer to learn in a disciplined MCC environment that flapping around in a C150, straying into controlled airspace and generally being a pain in the arse. The question of airlines properly supervising low timers and ensuring a compatible cockpit gradient is another matter, and without doubt, some of the Indian companies seem to be allowing inexperienced guys to effectively single crew while some jurasic Captain snores his way around Asia.