PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth Crash
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2011, 15:20
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
It's sad that someone crashed. My empathy as appropriate....

However, that fact that someone crashed, and that event was the catalyst for a discussion about the characteristics of a particular type of aircraft, or the elements of decision making for a safe flight, does not necessarily make that discussion in isolation, worthy of criticism.

I agree that there can be a fine line of getting into "arm chair investigation" of the particular event, which I do not support. But, arm chair discussion about aircraft, and piloting in general, or by type, is what this forum is here for.

I do my darndest when I fly to conduct the flight so that there is as little chance as possible that all of you are talking about my accident one day. One element of this, is gleaning other's wise thoughts. If those thoughts pop up coincident to a crash, well, the crash was just the catalyst.

Several years ago, a helicopter I had previously test flown was crashed with four fatalities. I spoke with the operations manager the next day, and offered symapthy. He told me the cause right away. It was a absolutely a human factors situation. The following day, all of their helicopters, and several other aircraft with which I am associated were the subject of an operational change to prevent a reoccurance. Further to this, I was given immediate permission to discuss the known cause, and release photos I had, simply in the interest of disseminating safety information without delay, and while it was fresh in people's minds. This all occurred while I was being slagged on the Rotorheads forum for "thinking I had some special information", and while the TSB was still beginning their investigation. Though it is probably out, I have never seen the report - 'don't need to, I know what it would say. A small part of the wreck of that helicopter sits in front of me now, so I never forget....

Yes, we have to respect sensativities, and toward that end must avoid a personal attack on a pilot at a difficult time, but human factors remain a prime cause of accidents (I'm not saying this one - I have no idea). We need to recognize that, and do what we can to maximize a culture of safe aviation.

Perhaps most pilots reading here will not fly a Moth, but if one pilot remembers one wisdom here, applicable to a Moth, or similar type, and that wisdom becomes a part of a safey culture for that pilot, and is then passed on, safety happened, and that justifies such posts here in my mind...