PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 18th May 2011, 12:04
MIDLGW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoa, people! Can we all just take a step back here? Please.

There is no need to try and entice people into a reaction, regardless which side of the fence they're on - even if they're sitting on the fence. There are some people who are bitter and twisted, there are some who live on cloud nine, some who are middle of the road, some are more (academically) intelligent than others, some are more "street wise" than others. Some can see through the fog, some cannot.

The point I'm trying to make is that we're all different. Please do not tar everyone with the same brush. Most people get on, but we cannot all get along as best friends. As long as colleagues (from all departments) are polite and professional, that's all that matters. Go for dinner and drinks if that suits you. Stay in your room if that's what you'd rather do. There's certainly no need to get all twitchy about it. Be courteous, even if you do not particularly like someone.

I'm fully aware that we have some crew who do not perform as well as they should. That needs to be dealt with through the proper channels and not here or any other forum. I'm also fully aware of the crew who do go the extra mile and perform brilliantly, and they should be recognised too.

This is the time to use your time and energy to narrow the gap. Take some time chatting to your colleagues, and you may find out as to why certain behaviours happen. Most people would just like someone to listen to them, and not make assumptions just because they heard something on the grapevine/galleyfm/jungle telegraph. Stop rumours in their tracks by not re-telling the tale.

In short, what I'm trying to say: Don't tar everyone with the same brush and be kind to each other. Simple as that. Then at least we can try to build bridges and have a nicer work environment.

Having flown with both strikers, non-strikers and VCCs, I've found no need to be anything but professional and nice. Being able to respect other's beliefs is a good quality to have. Learn it and use it.

Moving on, I hope this whole debacle is finally nearing an end. There will be people around who will find it hard to forgive and forget, so please help them. You may not feel like it, but anger breeds anger and kindness breeds kindness. Let's all move on. I'm not suggesting we should all be like the Walton family, but building bridges will have to start somewhere, so why not here and now?