PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of low time pilots slammed
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2011, 11:51
pool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Were 2 FO's at the controls and if so why did Capt plan his rest that way(airmanship)?
I guess you do not fly augmented LR. Today's rostering is so tight, the fatigue level so high, that you need to pre-plan your rest by arriving fully rested or maybe a little tired. Any change to the given rest pattern needs to be coordinated before the flight with the concerned crew.
Sounds stupid? Well, that's what it is in my company at least. We have a rest plan for your entire time off that pretty much tells you when to sleep, what to eat, drink and when to pee, all written down in the OMA!!!!!!
So try changing in flight and you're already on the hook for a breach of SOP. (you can just never win ...)

As to low timers. It is not the 200h FOs that are worrying. In most legacy companies who used ab initio pilots, thelatter earned their degree on short haul equippment and routes for some years, then upgraded.
Today the system puts them directly on long haul, more sophisticated aircraft and routes.

That does not work well.

Apart from the more complex aviation part on bigger equippment, the variation of the environment is exponential. For the rookie to get to know all the tricks it takes way longer.

That's not good.

In most companies today, the manpower and rostering is so tight, that there is no longer the possibility to roster an experienced guy with a rookie. I sometimes get two FOs, one just checked out and the other with 500h on type and neither of them has ever been to this place, flown this route. Now I have to get some rest during the 12 hours, don't I? Guess where the OMA has provided my rest in its sublime wisdom? You guessed right, over the Himalayas .....
(don't smartass me about 'then change your rest' or 'then tell the company to give you an expert FO' or other logical consequences: been there, done that, got bashed)

You can put low hours pilots in some cockpits, but not where some companies do it nowadays. The time frame, environment and equippment has to be adequate to learn about airmanship.

In aviation we should never skip steps.
But that is the main occupation of modern management.

Last edited by pool; 18th May 2011 at 14:38.