PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 18th May 2011, 07:42
Betty girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Young Paul,

To get a clear picture of this dispute, you really need to read all the threads, which have been discussing this for well over two years now.

I don't think there are any cabin crew that are happy with Mixed Fleet cabin crew working to less favourable agreements, conditions or having less pay. We would all prefer them to be working to the same agreements to us.

Although I am not a fan of BASSA the union, and would have wished they had been able to negotiate an inclusive way for new crew to be included in our terms and conditions, that is not what happened, firstly because BASSA tend to rush into industrial action and secondly because BA wanted crew to be working to inferior agreements. That was the end goal be it for all of us or just some of us and it is therefore a bit unfair to blame BASSA/UNITE and all cabin crew for this.

I think your post is rather unfair as BASSA/UNITE have all along been wanting to negotiate on behalf of ALL crew but they have only a few days ago been given the right to represent this new Mixed Fleet. In fact BA actually started Mixed Fleet after BASSA lost it's right during the IA to discuss any matters with BA.

You only have to look at a thread running in this very section where an Air France crew member discuses her companies rostering to see that BA were already operating in a much more economic way to many of it's European competitors.

I don't think it is strange that 10,000 people wish to keep their terms and conditions intact. Yes some of them went about it in a bad way but ALL of us and any other employee would not want to work to an inferior contract and reduce their pay. We all have mortgages and commitments based on our salaries which are not unusual when compared to other BA employees or people working in the London area and considerably low compared to Air France, Iberia, KLM etc. I agree Mixed Fleets pay is far too low and all cabin crew want that to change. We had no input at all into what BA has chosen to pay them.

So before you make out this is a simple problem with a simple answer try reading all the threads, which would take you weeks, rather than coming on a website and criticizing people and talking about something you know not much about.