PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic
Thread: Virgin Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2001, 20:20
The Guvnor

Cool

Silver Tongued Cavalier - try reading the unauthorised biography by Tom Bowers - considerably more enlightening!

Scroggs - you're sounding rather bitter, me old mate!

Perhaps you couldn't give a monkeys about your colleagues in thius business, but I do. The reason that I posted the article about the suicide of the Ansett captains was to highlight the high levels of stress that people are going through at present - and to push forward the case for a support mechanism that I had previously mooted on an earlier, similar, thread.

Exactly how many startups have you been involved with? I suspect none from your comments. Try asking some of those on here that have been involved - including IFR and Groundhog - how long it takes. Four years in the case of Groundhog's last venture. And yes, especially in the current market, those ex DL L15s would have been absolutely perfect - ultra-low capital cost, falling fuel prices etc ... one can afford to park them (total cost: $600 per month) unlike a certain UK airline of your ken that is now bitterly regretting its investment in bright shiny new A340s and 744s that the lessors don't want back - and which cost them well over $1m per month whether or not they fly! The simple reason that the Classics were parked was that VS could afford to do it - but it couldn't afford early termination of the leases on its more modern aircraft, which is what it wanted to do.

I shall await your prediction as to when this upturn is due to arrive with great interest!