PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American MD-83 LGA wing tip contact May 5, 2011
Old 16th May 2011, 19:58
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, first off I don't think the TABS controlling the ailerons have anything to do with anything. The DC9/MD80 is a fine maneuverable plane, which also has roll spoilers which are hydraulic. I do hasten to add that if the other types, 737/a320 were there, they might have touched an engine.

I am going to guess that the captain was flying...or did I miss something in the report?

There is a human articulation problem in my view, something that isn't often considered...flying from the right, with the RIGHT hand on the yoke, the natural tendency would be to drop the right wing (just the heaviness of the right hand).

Flying from the left seat, the left hand might drop and you would get the left wing to drop...

The reported winds are within the crosswind capability of this type, so they had every right to try the landing. However, as we have seen in other wx related problems, sometimes the wx is WORSE than reported.

AS a practical matter, I would love to see HALF the crosswind capability be the limiting factor for ATC selection of runways.