PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 16th May 2011, 15:08
Dingbaticus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shocking but I agree with Yellow Pen!

Far too early to take the champagne off the ice.

In post 4149 doishquattroserche appears to think we all follow BASSA like little lambs. Not so as the birth of CrewDefence proves.

CrewDefence was borne of frustration by some members at the perceived lack of understanding or support from both the Labour Party and Unite, especially in regards to the taking of travel concessions as a punishment for going on strike.

With 2000 plus members it should not be lightly dismissed, as I believe there is unhappiness at the dropping of litigation by Unite as part of a negotiated settlement.

This weekend saw skirmishes on the BASSA forum that at times descended into a cyber street war, as some members whipped up a VOTE NO sentiment before we even had a chance to read the document.

I still believe the vote will be to settle but it is vital we all return our ballot to guarantee it.

We don’t all want the same thing so the settlement was never going to please everyone. However, it meets some important criteria including a permanent contractual agreement regarding variable pay and independent binding arbitration for the suspended and sacked.

I believe the clinical psychologist identified some areas that were barriers to achieving settlement. Having two branches of our Union has always caused problems as issues have historically often turned into power struggles to the frustration of the business. There will be a merging of BASSA and 89(Amicus) which may not please all members. There will be elections for Reps too and I suspect some new faces will enter the arena as all are not happy. Betty Girl, this is where members have the opportunity to step forward and change things from the inside.

As for the management, I believe some may have been referred to as ‘treacle’, a sticky barrier to achieving settlement. I suspect Mr Williams will reducing his sugar intake and introducing a more savoury menu.

After any war there are serious issues. There is anger from those who lost more pay days than strike days that the Union will no longer pursue this. However, the settlement document does acknowledge individual Union members can pursue cases themselves and support each other, so CrewDefence may yet have some work to do.

Both sides have to step down from ‘battle mode’ and some will find this harder than others. Now is when the hard work begins!

Alehandra, you noted my post on here was very different to the ‘other’ forum. Whilst my style here is less emotional and I am mindful of the fact this is a public forum, my sentiments are the same.

We have been accused of being ‘Mentalists’ but I believe the reality is we are passionate, emotional people. It’s why we were recruited. Unlike other careers, being Cabin Crew becomes part of our self identity. Attacks by the media and events such as the ‘wailing wall’ debacle felt to me like an attack on the Company I love too. It was personal. The dispute got personal. I am sure it will be studied in the future and I hope the lessons it produces will help Unions and Companies have more productive relationships, as the toxic fall out of a prolonged industrial dispute is very damaging to both individuals and businesses.

The postings made by Dingbaticus on this site are my own thoughts, feelings and beliefs and don’t necessarily represent my employers positions, strategies or opinions