PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - funding your ATPL training
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2011, 19:01
M_Wall13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on where you heard that this summer will be the best time to start training mate, if an integrated flight school told you, then you have to remember that its all marketing to them, I personally got told the same thing two years ago and nothings really changed, you've just got to know that training and earning an fATPL isn't an automatic right to fly airliners, you might get a job straight away but you also might have to wait 1,2,3,4,5 years etc, theres still a lot of unemployed experienced pilots out there and a lot of low houred fATPL guys as well from integrated and modular routes.
I wish you the best of luck buddy but some advice would be to do as much research as you can about every aspect/route of training, its costs and life as a pilot, try to have a plan/job to fall back on (degree would be handy) if you cant get employment after training (the loan repayments will be huge £500-1000 per month), as well as a plan to somehow continue flying if your unemployed, also something I don't hear enough of on these forums but I think its extremely important, you need to prove you have motivation for a flying career, its a prime interview question, "why do you want to be a pilot" and a good answer could set you apart from 10 - 100's of others if you have done something special to show your committed to this career, have you tried gliding? thats always a good start I know Bristol Uni have a gliding club, not saying this is you mate but too many people simply BUY a license, often for genuine reasons but things are so competitive now its not enough anymore. (sorry for the essay but this is just a few things to consider)

Last edited by M_Wall13; 15th May 2011 at 19:05. Reason: grammer