PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Info for pilots looking to get into Emirates
Old 15th May 2011, 16:27
ekslave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smiler68 - you see what you want to see.
Actually I am one of the more positive people in Emirates. When I joined, a long time ago, you actually had to wait more than two years to get an interview invite. You then had to pay for your own flight. I, amongst many others, actually left a good job to come here. Do I regret it - no. I have done very well out of EK, that's because I joined a very different airline. Times have changed.
It is no exaggeration when it has been reported that interviewee's loose sight of the airfield downwind, crash doing an orbit and all the other horror stories. It may be just a coincidence that EK have these roadshows in all the obscure parts of the world because they are struggling to find pilots to fill courses. They are literally stumbling from month to month. They want pilots from the "3rd world" because they will see a job in EK as "dying and gone to heaven" or winning the lottery each month. They would never have dreamt in a month of Sundays of getting a job like this and will stay until the bitter end.
Most f/o's joining now are extremely disappointed once the rose tinted glasses effect wears off - just hope that it doesn't happen to your wife first and she packs her bags and leaves. It's easy to say "if you dont like it leave". Where are you going to go?
Over recent years, EK have been very lucky and found many pilots out of work and desperate to join. Good for them, more so the pilots with bills to pay.
Just one word of advice. Be very careful and think hard before you give up a good job to come here. Think long term because it's not that easy to move on unless you fancy being a contractor.
I am sick of flying with whinging f/o's that were lied to during the interview.
It is what you make it and nothing more. You will not get a quick command no matter what your hours. If you hang out a bit longer direct entry f/o's on the 380 will not be that far away.