PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In a spin
Thread: In a spin
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2011, 13:38
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Nigel. I think I did mention that a spin on a final turn onto approach will probably be your final turn. Which should imply you don't mess around with spins. The poor chaps in the accident report you have cited had only 200 hours each, hardly exerienced; if as the cameras reported they ended up in an inverted spin in a Stampe, there was less than a minute remaining to get it sorted before the trees.

Yes of course, POH to be respected, digested, and training undertaken with an instructor who knows what he or she is talking about. Experimenting with spin recovery on assorted types is NOT recommended. Even with advice from assorted pruners.

In gliding, spin training is routine; in power instruction it is avoided. What a pity.

The original recovery I mentioned is not recorded in history, probably a myth. Very very early days, a spin (called Well Digging by the Wright Brothers) was without exception, terminal. So one hapless pilot, having inadvertently entered a spin, seeing he was about to die, decided to get it over with quickly, and moved the stick forward.....