PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Views on AAC
Thread: Views on AAC
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2002, 15:12
9.81m/s/s

Stu, I'm a SNCO in the RAF - and I'm also aircrew! I'm obviously not a pilot because SNCOs were responsible enough to fly in the second world war but not responsible enough to drop the bomb!!! Anyway - I've seen lots of army and navy guys come across to the air force both on attachments and transfers and without exception all have said that they wished they had done it long ago!!! You are treated ( I believe ) much more like a human being in the air force - and again this is something they generally commented on as well.
However, it's not all a bed of roses! There is unfortunately in the air force a LOT of holding involved in flying training - two years of sitting around scratching your ar$e is quite common. While this sounds great - no responsibility, getting paid and pi$$ing it up - it is I'm afraid quite soul destroying and really saps the initial enthusiasm! Which really is a great pity! Best advice is to try to talk to a young PO, FO or Flt Lt going through or having recently gone through training for the horses mouth ! But again be warned - sometimes the idea of having ' got there' dulls the memory a little. Anyway whatever you decide best of luck mate - make no rash decisions and if you can, ask at RAF CIO for exact details of flying training and double check all facts!!!!!