PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado GR4 - Given a hard time?
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2011, 07:37
Wingswinger

Location: Hampshire physically; Perthshire and Pembrokeshire mentally.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lastly what, IMHO, made the Tornado force such an effective one was the very ecclectic nature of the make up of the crews as demonstrated between Jan and March 1991.
True. And not just in GW1 (to which I was a mere TV spectator having exercised my 38/16 option in spring '89). Going back to the SAC Bombing and Navigation competition in '84 it was quite clearly the dedicated preparatory work done by a hard core of VFW GIBs which laid the foundations for the victory. God it was boring to fly it though; RBSU work with a tone was like kissing your sister compared to real mud-mover range work. The only excitement for the drivers was the night tanking and 5:45 airborne was almost more than my bladder - calibrated to Harrier/Hunter sortie length - could take. Having said that, TFR-ing over the Bighorn mountains through a nest of thunderstorms was quite exciting.

The aircraft? At the time the best mud-moving FJ in the world bar none. Complaints/frustrations? Its legs were not long enough; A marriage of the F3 airframe with bigger drop tanks and the GR1 avionics, if it were possible, would have made a huge improvement. That and the complexities and limitations imposed by the R to S in the early days which meant having the wings in 67 above 400 kts if there were tanks on without o/b stores.

I referred in an earlier post to a certain VFW Nav at Cottesmore. It would be grossly unfair and inaccurate to characterise all in that way. Very many took to the tactical FJ stuff like ducks to water. My Nav did. He had a colourful turn of phrase and would encourage me with the delightful " always remember that if you **** up, the last thing that will cross your mind will be my ****hole".

Happy days and fond memories.