PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the Job market bad?
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2011, 05:51
zondaracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I say 2012? I meant to say August 1, 2013.

If I was still in the US, I would be instructing. If you don't want to instruct, you might look into banner towing, although it is somewhat dangerous due to a wide disparity in the quality of operators, it is typically only seasonal work, it is low paid, you will need some tailwheel time, and it is exclusively single engine time. There is also pipeline patrol work, firewatch, traffic watch, aerial mapping (a friend of mine did this but he got hired after 800hrs of instructing), Parachute dropzone pilot, Ferrying, photoflights, and more. Being in the US, you have access to general aviation jobs, but most are low paying and many require you to know somebody or require some kind of special background to get hired.

For example, I saw an ad for a jump pilot in San Diego, flying a Cessna 206. 500TT was required for insurance purposes, c206 time and drop experience preferred. Tons of guys were jumping at this job, despite the fact that they probably won't even be able to scrape by living in San Diego on their earnings alone.

I saw a ferry pilot ad in the US. 1000TT and 500XCountry time. You essentially work with an agent who will give you jobs and you make the price and give a percentage back to the agent.

Keep in mind that you are in the US, and 1500 hrs there is still considered low time generally speaking. Also, the CFI route in this US is really highly looked upon there because the general consensus is that it makes you a better a pilot and that you learn quite a bit teaching others to fly. After the Colgan 3407 crash, it was noted in the US pilot community that the captain bypassed the CFI route by doing pay to fly with an airline to gain hours/experience. There is a strong disdain in the US for pay to fly guys, so I would recommend against going that route.

In the end, you will need to make connections with people. For example, I have a friend who got hired doing bush flying in Alaska, but it wouldn't have happened for her if she didn't do all her training in Akaska and if she didn't start out as the telephone receptionist for a small flying company. A lot of flying schools give hiring preference to guys who did their CFI Ratings with them. Some guys get hired doing glider towing after spending enough time at a glider club learning to fly the gliders. So yeah, you'll have to be a little creative.

Lastly, this website is very euro-centric, not a lot of US based info here. In the US, with the exception of private bizjet operators, the airlines don't really require a type rating (except for Southwest) and they dont ask for time on type. Abroad, that is a lot more common. The US airlines DO want recent time and multi time. PM me if you want some more info