PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Women Pilots
Thread: Women Pilots
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2001, 23:03
Pontius

Question

Buffy,

Can you expand on your question to Artificial Horizon? You say 'apart from BA' when asking about airline quotas for female pilots, implying BA have a quota to fill.

Let me make it VERY clear that BA has no such quota. If a lady is employed by BA as a pilot (TEP or DEP) it is because they have satisfied the selectors that they match the selection criteria. There are absolutely NO instructions (written, implied or spoken) that 'N' pilots should be female, Asian or whatever other minority that people not in the 'know' talk about. They are there purely because of their merits.

There are bigots everywhere in life and they exist in the airline world. I have, in the past, heard comments such as 'she's only here because she's a she'. Fortunately I'm in a position to address that and correct the un-learned gentleman.

One extremely good reason for only accepting people who make the grade, is so that all the ladies who are already 'in' and operating to the high standards expected are not tarred with the 'she only got in because...' brush. That is to say; if a female pilot were accepted because of her sex and it were discovered, then all the other female pilots would have the same stigma attached to the; be it true or not. A clear and unambigious selection policy is the only way to get round this.

So, if anyone is in the least bit confused, let me reiterate. BA will employ ANYONE who is good enough and passes the selection procedure. Absolutely NO 'allowance' is made for your sex, skin colour, sexual preference or the employer of your parents (for those with the 'he only got in because his Dad's a Training Capt' hang-up.

Hope that makes things clear for everybody

Pontius

------------------
You Ain't Seen Me - Right !!