PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado GR4 - Given a hard time?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2011, 21:20
threeputt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The B Word

I didn't really want to get involved in a pissing contest but hey ho whatever.

In my experience, along with the likes of the vastly more experienced FJ QWI back seaters such as Foldingwings, us crossovers from the V force contributed much to the multi role concept of the GR1 in RAF Germany. Indeed during GW1 it was the ex V force input to the problems of medium level "dumb" bombing that enabled us to put some bombs reasonably near to where we wanted them. Radar handling techniques and the application of arithmetical fixes and meterological data interpretation were mostly unknown by the FJ centric QWIs et al, until the problem first arose. I, like most of my ex V force mates lapped up the nav solutions that the aircraft gave us which enabled us to spent as much time as we could looking out.
However, the night/IMC nature of the task was somewhat akin to that on the Vulcan but, was in reality a million nautical miles opposed in operation.

If there was a mafia around in those days it was mainly made up of ex Lightning or Jag mates, all with an axe to grind and mostly with long pockets and short arms.............and also at least the Buccanneer pilots were used to flying with a GIB.

Lastly what, IMHO, made the Tornado force such an effective one was the very ecclectic nature of the make up of the crews as demonstrated between Jan and March 1991.

B Word your personal profile doesn't give away your background so SIUYT!

A proud ex GR1 GIB

Gedgie (aka 3Putt , or as I like to be known now, Captain of the Wiltshire Seniors golf team)