PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Women Pilots
Thread: Women Pilots
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2001, 18:32
Pandora

Thumbs down

It is a sad but true fact that there is a general perception that women must be ever so slightly substandard to men when it comes to flying aircraft. After all, I only got my job because there's a 'girl quota' to be filled, right? and I only passed all of the flying tests because I winked at the examiner, and when the examiner was a woman I passed because she was showing solidarity. Passengers on my sectors ask for flight deck visits, not to visit the flight deck but to have a look at the lady pilot. And when I do the 'bye-byes' at the end of the flight I've had more than the odd comment. I feel resigned to going through my career with the general public and even some of my professional colleagues (including an instructor who should know better) making the allegation that somehow I have got in through a back door. The only people who have not carried on in this way are my employers, who say we are all trained professionals. Anyone who is hoping that as a woman they may have a better chance of getting into the airlines is being selfish and doing a disservice to her colleagues.