PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In a spin
Thread: In a spin
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2011, 15:26
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more fun spinning in a glider!

At Dunstable they have a K13 glider kept especially for spin training, as the glassfibre K21 training gliders are reluctant to spin, and have to have tail loaded with a bit of lead to unbalance properly!

I used to hate and dread spinning, but the dear old K13 is such a reliable old boat I grew to love spins and now do them every chance I get, just for the fun of it. When introducing a beginner to the sport, best to let him enter the spin and make the recovery; in the old days, the instructor would bang it in, and say "now recover, you have control!" which is unhelpful, as you don't have a chance to feel it go whoomp! as it enters, and to savour the way the elevator no longer works in the normal sense!

If the front seat pilot is a bit overweight, it will most likely not spin at all, but spiral dive, in which case all controls are working normally.

In a K13, I do the hassll checks first, height adequate for recovery, airframe speed limitations (eg, do not exceed 108 knots in the recovery dive), straps done up nice and tight, objects in the cockpit secure, location is appropriate (not over population centers or airfields or other aircraft below one) and lookout (again!). And then do a clearing 180 degree turn first to left, then another to right, in case another glider sees you turning 360 degrees and thinks "oho, he's got a thermal, I'll just slot in underneath!".

And then I just amble along nicely, getting slower, and slower, and eventually a wing will give up and drop, and THAT'S the way it wants to go, so a boot full of rudder in agreement with the wing drop, stick held fully back, and ROUND you go! Yahoo! Having put it in the spin, just do the recovery the other way, don't have to think left or right. Helpful if one is dyslexic.

Have fun! You do know how to recover, don't you?

And if you enter a spin while over-ruddering a final turn onto approach, don't worry about which way it is spinning, because you are too low to make the recovery anyhow. It WILL be your FINAL turn......