PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado GR4 - Given a hard time?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2011, 08:01
foldingwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having grown up with the Bucc, I don't think it's fair to lambaste the Tornado Force alone about its V-Force incomers! At one point, HQ1Gp which had governed the V-Force and was now running the Bucc Force amongst others, decided that it would be a good idea to retrofit a sextant in the Bucc's rear cockpit!! Needless to say that never happened! I recall also, as a Bucc OCU Nav instructor, sitting behind an ex-V-Force pilot who opened the cockpit conversation with 'Captain to Navigator' - he didn't ever do it again!!!!! He was the original VFW!

However, it is true to say that there was a large V-Force intake to the early GR1 sqns and many found it difficult to adapt from the 'strategic' Vulcan to the 'tactical' Tornado. I was in Germany, late 80s, on the GR1 with a number of them who attempted to drive the Tornado just like they had the V-Bomber. Those pilots flew it straight and level and some ex-V-Force navs never looked out the window but followed the green writing as if it was their God! However, many, like 3-Putt, were not in that category and were as tactically aware as those who had come off FJs previously. The others lolled about in the doldrums of the squadron and didn't advance much beyond 2-ship lead!

Foldie

Last edited by foldingwings; 14th May 2011 at 09:08. Reason: Spelling police have PM'd me!!!!!!!