PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing dropping stall recovery.
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2011, 17:31
Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure I'm following this.

When I did accelerated stalls in the Warrior if the wing dropped and it could be vicious, the drop was stopped with opposite rudder, yawing the plane if you like away from the dropped wing arresting any further wing drop.

Recovery was then as described. Stick forward, power on level the wings with aileron when they were 'un-stalled'

Surely if you do nothing with the rudder when you have a rapidly dropping wing there is the risk of entering a semi-stalled spiral dive in which case normal stall recovery is not what is required, power off, level wings, recover from the dive. Hence I was taught to catch the wing drop with rudder. The only really 'dumb' thing you could do was to give rudder in the same sense as the wing drop, i.e. a classic spin entry.

Not saying it is right or wrong, just trying to figure out why not to use rudder to catch a dropping wing when it is all you have left. As discussed aileron is of no use so if the wing is rapidly falling away how do you arrest it without rudder?

I can see an argument for keeping the aircraft in balance for the stall, then it won't drop a wing, hmmmmm is that the point of the exercise? I thought a dangerous stall was one you didn't expect not the one you planned.