PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 13th May 2011, 13:00
Betty girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

In reply to A V Flyer.

I have always thought WW has been a good CEO and he has served BA well in how he has got our costs down etc.

However I and many others feel that this dispute could have been ended many months ago, if a different style of CEO was in office back then.

This offer is almost identical to the one that many of us signed and had staff travel been restored as part of the last offer, we may have had an end many months ago.

During the first year of this dispute WW and Bassa have had personality clashes and from what I have heard WW refused to even speak with Bassa reps and discussions with reps had to take place through Unite officials because WW refused to sit in the same room as them.

More recently almost exactly the same offer has been accepted by Bassa and it includes big changes to the way they and BA do business and this has been achieved because both sides have amended the way they do business and talks have included reps that understand how our agreements work.

WW was and still is a good leader but his confrontational style, in my opinion, has in fact prolonged this dispute and made it harder for a solution to be found. That's my opinion and it does not mean that I cannot see that he was a good CEO in the sense that he has guided BA through a lot of cost cutting to get us through a bad recession and for that I applaud him but his hard ball stance has not been good and KW has ended up with a good outcome for BA which I feel could have been achieved last time had Bassa been included in the talks like this time.

Of course I hold BASSA responsible mostly and this is because a strike was totally unnecessary in the first place but WW stance and hard ball attitude actually has made the whole affair worse, in my humble opinion.

As hardly any of the PCCC are current members of Unite, I very much doubt that any of us could stand for election! There are some very good Bassa and Amicus reps out there particularly many of the line reps, they have just been badly led by DH and the rest of the committee, so hopefully the future will be bright and a new relationship will evolve between Unite and BA, one that moves our airline forward.

Last edited by Betty girl; 13th May 2011 at 13:28.