PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 11th May 2011, 10:52
flyeruk69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Meeting

The show of hand at the bassa meeting isn't quite as simple as yea or ney to the out come of the talks.

The show of hands will be a straw pole as to whether the proposal from the talks is good enough to do a paper or electronic ballot of the whole membership.

After two years or so of industrial discord it will be abundantly obvious to those in attendance whether the 10 points in dispute have been resolved or not.

It's my understanding that this is almost the case and todays extension to talks is a positive step.

As you know the mandate to strike runs out this coming Sunday and 7 days notice will have to be given realistically by Friday.

As far as I can see to call a meeting to put the proposals to the membership is the only way Unite can get the opinion of the membership as per the branch constitution and still legally give notice for industrial action.

Not ideal I know, but these talks have dragged out to the 11th hours leaving the union little choice other than an expensive re ballot and further uncertainty as we head into the summer months.

After some 46 day period of talks, if solution hasn't been reached then I find it hard to believe that either side want's a settlement. I believe both sides know this industrial discord can't go on and finding a reasonable settlement is the only way forward for the benefit of the company and the crew.

In my opinion one of the biggest issue is the fare share of work, which needs to be distributed in a open,honest and fair way. Just having a view of tough isn't the way to move forward. BA can do what they like isn't gong to find a solution anytime soon. Many crew like doing the sin and the BKK etc for the social side as well as the money. A lot of the variable pay , not including the allowances, is relied on by crew to pay bills at home and to take this away by transferring the so called expensive routes is not going to keep people happy.

The other sticking point I hear is the sacked crew in this dispute, BA are resolute in their belief in the robust and fair way they conduct dismissals. BA should have no issues with having a binding ruling from ACAS in these cases as the robust way they conduct these hearings and subsequent dismissals should meet ACAS minimums and would save expensive tribunals.

For those who think Unite have been far too militant remember a company only usually gets a union they deserve. Playing hard ball with an employees union usually only results in the Union playing hard ball back.

Hopefully this dispute will be resolved this week and we can go back to building this once great airline back to where it should be , the best in the sky.