PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia it is!
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2011, 02:19
The Bunglerat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bulldog, if I may also throw my 2 cents' worth of opinion into the ring, I've been with Virgin since late 2007 & I am still quite happy here - with no immediate desire to go anywhere else (unlike a few of my mates at a certain one star rated airline who have reached the end of their rope & are looking to get out). Sure, I could look at EK, EY or various other operators in the Sandpit region or Asia, but for me it has always been about lifestyle, & I love where I live, I love the friends I have, I love the things I get to do on my days off - & thats enough for me. None of this would be the case if I packed up & went elsewhere.

Does Virgin have issues? Of course, and who doesn't. I've always maintained a balanced view of the job on PPRuNe, & maintain that there are some things that still piss us off about the company - & could be dealt with a lot better than they have been. That said, & in spite of the anti-Borghetti sentiment expressed by some, I think we're very fortunate to have a CEO who is actively engaged with staff at all levels of the company, & even if he doesn't give you the answer you want to hear, at least he gives you the time of day. I've already had personal dealings with him on two occasions, & was very impressed by the courtesy & professional respect he showed me in addressing the issues I raised. He regularly sits in on monthly flight crew conference calls (taking questions from anyone who wants to ask), & you only have to talk to our counterparts at QF/JQ & ask them how much time they get each month with their CEO (not that AJ or BB would give a rat's arse in the first place) to realise that we are very fortunate to have the current leadership in place that we now have.

As for the other stuff that has been mentioned on this thread already, I would say that the 737 is still the pick of the fleet - at least for now. The base pay is better than the E-Jet (although most of my mates on it don't fly as many hours per month, so I guess it averages out), it has the greatest variety of destinations (with a nice mix of domestic & a little bit of overseas stuff for good measure, i.e. Bali, Phuket), & most importantly it has a mature & mostly reliable bidding system in place. Everyone occasionally gets a dud roster, but for the most part I get what I bid for each month - so I'm happy. Whatever happens, it will continue to be the bread & butter of Virgin's operation, so I think it's safe to say that there will always be job security for those who fly it - if such a thing exists in this most fickle of industries.

The A330 is the big unknown, IMHO, at least from a career/flying perspective. I have no doubt it will be popular with the punters who sit in the back, but for the timebeing it will do nothing but east coast-Perth, which I imagine will become very tedious, very quickly, for those who work on it. The base pay is only 5% more than the 737, & when you factor in the likelihood that overnights (& allowances) will be very rare - if at all - you're actually worse off on the hip pocket than if you stayed on the 737, which means the only people who will want to fly it right now are those suffering from "My Jet's Bigger Than Yours" syndrome. Everyone in the company believes that it will eventually fly to Asia, & it may well do so, although Borghetti says otherwise at this time. If it does, it will be a great aeroplane to work on, for the same reasons I already enjoy being on the 737: greater variety of destinations, more overnights (& associated allowances), & so on. In time I expect the bidding system will also improve. However, whilst at one stage I did have an expression of interest in the system for it, the 11th hour change of base from MEL to SYD killed my interest (for lifestyle reasons as already mentioned), & in hindsight I consider it to be a wise decision, as I get the feeling that I wouldn't have been a happy camper from being a guinea pig for entry into service of a new type. Much better to let others deal with all the crap until it gets established & all the kinks are ironed out. Others on PPRuNe have said that there's no shortage of people who want to fly it, but I'm not convinced. Maybe it would be more accurate to say that there's no shortage of people who want to fly it "when pay/conditions improve & it starts doing something other than Perth day after day." Until then, I think the 737 is still the aircraft of choice.

Ultimately, for all the things I could complain about the place, there's more that I like than what I don't - & I think we're certainly moving in the right direction. The vibe is good, most of us are optimistic, & now is an exciting time to be working for Virgin Australia.